Date: 10/10/17 4:49 pm
From: John Weeks <aerie.john...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Blueberry Hill, Granville, 10/10 -- broad-winged hawk; eight warbler species
It was a small procession of migrating raptors and vultures today, nudged along by always-favorable northwest winds. The bird of the day was an immature Broad-winged Hawk running very late! The beautiful weather and the continued presence of eight species of warblers made for a pleasurable afternoon. Two monarchs and a mourning cloak also passed through. The full eBird report is below.

John Weeks

Blueberry Hill, Hampden, Massachusetts, US
Oct 10, 2017 11:15 AM - 3:55 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Cloud cover 70% decreasing to 20%; wind NW 3-8 mph; temp high 60s to mid-70s F. I expected migrating hawks.
30 species

Canada Goose 30
Turkey Vulture 8 Six appeared to be migrating: they kettled, then glided south.
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 7
Cooper's Hawk 4
Bald Eagle 2
Broad-winged Hawk 1 Seen well from above (when it wheeled) and below. NOTED: lack of patagial marks or belly band (eliminating red-tail); absence of primary "crescents" (eliminating red-shouldered hawk); heavy streaking on sides of throat; distinct, dusky subterminal band on otherwise finely banded, brown tail (also eliminating red-tail); no translucent "panes" in wings (as would be seen in wings of immature red-tail). A late date for BWHA, but not impossibly so.
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Barred Owl 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 7 All were migrating.
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1 Seen very well. When I pished, the bird was in view for two minutes and came to within 20 feet of me.
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 2
Common Raven 7 Seen together repeatedly. Possibly staging before moving south.
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 8
Black-and-white Warbler 1 Seen well. At least one female BAWW has been present here since late last week.
Tennessee Warbler 1
Northern Parula 1 Seen well. A male has been present here for about a week.
Magnolia Warbler 1 Seen well. A drab, but familiar, fall bird: eye-ring, gray head, yellow underparts with faint streaking.
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1 Seen very well. A stunning male.
Palm Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 18
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Dark-eyed Junco 2