Date: 10/10/17 3:41 pm
From: Nathaniel Wander <nw105...>
Subject: [obol] Urban kestrel
A bright female American Kestrel was perched atop a 10-story(?) building facing onto NW Lovejoy this afternoon.  I know from experience that Eurasian Kestrels are thoroughly urbanized--in the UK they love to roost in the crevasses of cathedral statuary--but this is the first time I've seen one in such an urban setting in the Americas, including Mexico, Belize & Cuba.
While I associate American Kestrels with human-altered habitats--agriculture, highways, utility lines--I gather from on-line reports they are commonly seen in New York City.  I wonder though, since we are so close to their northern breeding grounds, whether this might not have been a dispersing bird-of-the year.
Eventually the bird dropped down towards Lovejoy and vanished from my line of sight.  There are certainly enough Song Sparrows to keep her happy and, undoubtedly plentiful rodents as well, though we're probably short some of worms and grasshoppers. Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR
Max Planck is supposed to have said: A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and        making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die        and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.Andreas Wagner observed of Planck's remark: Science, like nature, advances one funeral at a time.  (Arrival of the Fittest, p.197)

Join us on Facebook!