Date: 10/10/17 3:13 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Burnham Prairie Greater White-fronted Geese, etc. (10-10-17)
With a northerly component to wind direction, Burnham Prairie Nature Preserve in south suburban Cook Co. was very birdy on Tuesday morning (10 October 2017). I was looking to add some species to the Bird the Preserves Big Month October 2017, so for sure that worked out very well for me. Carl G, Geoff W, Tom L, Jackson M, and Ted W et al had already added quite a few birds to the October 2017 Burnham Prairie list over the weekend - I was definitely hoping to add a few more!

A few minutes after I arrived, I was fortunate enough to spot a flock of ~105 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE in V-formation heading south over Burnham Prairie. That was probably the most exciting sighting of my visit, but there still was more to come. I flushed a rather late GREEN HERON from one of the ponds, and an AMERICAN PIPIT flew in and strutted on the mud flats for a while. In the wooded path along the Grand Calumet River, I had gorgeous, close-up views of a BLUE-HEADED VIREO, a late MAGNOLIA WARBLER, and a male EASTERN TOWHEE. Unfortunately, no camera this time. Happily, I was able to add a couple of common species that had somehow eluded us so far: DARK-EYED JUNCO and BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD. In the end, it appears that I added about a dozen species to the October 2017 Burnham Prairie species list. It is worth noting that we are still missing Common Grackle from our October list, which is humbling, to say the least.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

Posted by: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...>

<*> Your email settings: