Date: 10/10/17 2:17 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Woodhouse's Jay
Hi, Tom -

Actually, they differ in both features, once you account for age and some discoloration, and mediocre taxidermy. To my eyes the two Harney Co. specimens are Woodhouses.  The 4 all have the throat patch of pale lanceolate streaks, but  the 2 Californias have distinct bright blue spurs partially framing the patch, and blue spots among the tips of the streaks, and the woodhousii do not have these.  The two Californias do have paler undertail coverts, although overall the underparts on both appear darker than in life.  Note particularly the feather lying on the crossed leg on specimen 566063, and the feather under the tag string on 564862.  None of the undertail coverts on the two Woodhouses are this pale.  None of the specimens are especially well-made, and all have feathers protruding at all angles, so it is a little tricky distinguishing the UTCs from tarsal feathers and lower belly feathers.

Wayne

On 10/10/2017 1:43:02 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> wrote:
What is interesting to me about the specimens is that we are told that two
fieldmarks for Woodhouse's are the lack of a "necklace" on the upper breast
and blue undertail coverts. Yet all four of these birds show those features
and they are supposed to be different species. Am I missing something?

Tom Crabtree, Bend