Date: 10/10/17 12:06 pm
From: Ed McDevitt <mcdevitt.ed...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Monday, October 9 Henry Griffin Bird Walk, Oak Park
I should have added that toward the end of the walk, as we came back
through the alley, we met one of the homeowners who asked if we'd seen the
Peregrine Falcon in the area. She reported seeing one sitting for a very
long time on a low post near her back yard a couple of days before.

Ed

Ed McDevitt
Executive Director
Public Art Chicago
*(630) 651-6227 (C)*

[image: Inline image 1]

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Ed McDevitt <mcdevitt.ed...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> On Monday Henry led 5 of us along the usual path in the alley just east of
> Elmwood Ave from about Chicago Avenue to Division, through Taylor Park, and
> back again. It was a beautiful Fall morning and we had great viewing. We
> walked from 8AM to 10 AM. Here's our list of birds.
>
> Northern Flicker 2
> American Robin 100
> House Sparrow 50
> Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
> White-Breasted Nuthatch 2
> Swainson's Thrush 1
> Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
> Chimney Swift 10
> Northern Cardinal 3
> Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
> Orange-crowned Warbler 1
> Gray Catbird 1
> Blue-headed Vireo 1
> Downy Woodpecker 1
> Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
> Mourning Dove 2
> Canada Goose 1
>
> The highlights were both varieties of Kinglet, both varieties of Nuthatch,
> the Orange-crowned Warbler and the Blue-headed Vireo. Almost as if by
> magic, we were discussing the possibility of seeing a Sapsucker, and one
> flew over us into a nearby tree. The two we saw at different intervals were
> probably a pair, and at one point one of them was foraging on a tree trunk
> just a few feet away.
>
> Mid-walk a cat appeared in the alley, spotted us, and hurried down the
> alley to be with us. The cat walked with us, cadging back scratches, and
> seeming to observe as we did. It was most interesting when all of us,
> including the cat, were looking intently at the Catbird.
>
> It was instructive to hear the Yellow-rumped Warbler "Chek" call almost
> simultaneously with the Northern Cardinal's "Chip." The Cardinal's "Chiip"
> is higher in pitch by a bit, and shorter.
>
> Ed McDevitt
> Executive Director
> Public Art Chicago
> *(630) 651-6227 (C)*