Date: 10/10/17 10:29 am
Subject: Could this be anything but a Parasitic Jaeger?
Hi All,

While birding the Rachel Carson Reserve in Beaufort yesterday we (John
Fussell, Chandra Biggerstaff, and I) saw a dark bird flying east over
Taylor's Creek. Our first thought was Peregrine Falcon, but the flight was
like a jaeger. We watched it turn and head south towards Shackleford Banks
and presumably out to sea. We just assumed it was a Parasitic Jaeger based
on probabilities. However, the question was raised about other
possibilities, such as immature Long-tailed Jaeger. Although the bird was
distant, it seemed smallish and a little pale for a Parasitic (could be a
trick of the light). The photos are small (see eBird checklist below), but
is there anything to suggest anything other than Parasitic Jaeger? Winds
had been out of the south, which probably pushed this bird into the south
facing inlet.

Thanks for your input,
Marty Wall
Beaufort, NC

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S39789475&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=dXP3BAuz1oC_CWZgWaVKWqrYYh-2V922Mnk2gkwoHyY&s=0uBRQgO8hdrUwsZHEvxEHKJnf3-X32RVaTF3uRVwVAY&e=

Join us on Facebook!