Date: 10/10/17 9:02 am
From: Ed McDevitt <mcdevitt.ed...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Monday, October 9 Henry Griffin Bird Walk, Oak Park
On Monday Henry led 5 of us along the usual path in the alley just east of
Elmwood Ave from about Chicago Avenue to Division, through Taylor Park, and
back again. It was a beautiful Fall morning and we had great viewing. We
walked from 8AM to 10 AM. Here's our list of birds.

Northern Flicker 2
American Robin 100
House Sparrow 50
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
White-Breasted Nuthatch 2
Swainson's Thrush 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
Chimney Swift 10
Northern Cardinal 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Gray Catbird 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Mourning Dove 2
Canada Goose 1

The highlights were both varieties of Kinglet, both varieties of Nuthatch,
the Orange-crowned Warbler and the Blue-headed Vireo. Almost as if by
magic, we were discussing the possibility of seeing a Sapsucker, and one
flew over us into a nearby tree. The two we saw at different intervals were
probably a pair, and at one point one of them was foraging on a tree trunk
just a few feet away.

Mid-walk a cat appeared in the alley, spotted us, and hurried down the
alley to be with us. The cat walked with us, cadging back scratches, and
seeming to observe as we did. It was most interesting when all of us,
including the cat, were looking intently at the Catbird.

It was instructive to hear the Yellow-rumped Warbler "Chek" call almost
simultaneously with the Northern Cardinal's "Chip." The Cardinal's "Chiip"
is higher in pitch by a bit, and shorter.

Ed McDevitt
Executive Director
Public Art Chicago
*(630) 651-6227 (C)*