Date: 10/10/17 7:32 am
From: Stephen Holzman <steveholzman2...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay in Oregon
Lars point is a good one,and I think to some extent it's already
happening. Before the ability for eBird to store images directly at
the Macaulay Library, people would add links to their photos stored on
Flickr, SmugMug, etc. As those sites disappear, those images embedded
in the checklist are broken and unavailable. I have great hopes that
our research universities do not disappear, so I am more confident
that those images uploaded to the Macaulay Library via your eBird
checklists will remain no matter if Windows or Apple becomes a
footnote in computing history. So, what can you do? Make sure if you
are adding images to your eBird checklist you do so via direct upload.

I recently discovered this: https://ebird.org/media/catalog You can
search all images of (for example) Western Sandpiper found in Lincoln
County during September. How awesome is that? While nothing will
compare with researchers being able to handle and observe a specimen
directly at a research museum, this is a decent substitute IMHO.

Steve Holzman
Newport, OR

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>