Date: 10/10/17 7:15 am
From: <5hats...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: Gabrielson and Jewett Woodhouse Scrubs
interesting photos. Is it my imagination, an artifact created by the manner in which the birds were prepared, or a real factor which makes the Woodhouse's specimens look smaller and less bulky than the other two specimens? Is this a feature which might be helpful in the field?

Darrel

From: Matthew G Hunter < <matthewghunter...> >
Date: Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Subject: Gabrielson and Jewett Woodhouse Scrubs
To: OReBird < <orebird...> >

Hi Folks,

Following up: Gabrielson and Jewett (1940, Birds of Oregon) listed two specimens of "Woodhouse's Jay," saying "...No other record of the presence of Woodhouse's Jay in the State was made until August 8, 1921, when two birds were collected from a flock present in the brush along the banks of Wild Horse Creek near Andrews on the southeastern slope of Steens Mountains where the authors were camped."

G&J said one was in the Biological Survey collection and the other was in Gabrielson's collection (No. 531). Ralph Browning said these were accessioned at Smithsonian while he was there. I asked Chris Milensky (Birds Staff) at Smithsonian for a couple photos of the Woodhouse's Jays" mentioned in G&J, and if he could include a couple of adjacent typical California Scrub-Jays. Two photos are attached. They were fairly dull, likely due to the stark white background, so I edited them to a more pleasant contrast and hue (same process applied to both images).

I don't know if these are adequate for ID, but ... it's something to look at.

In BOGR, Browning mentions other specimens labeled "subspecies?" by Phillips, which Browning says are woodhouseii. Those may take some greater effort to track down.

Matt

Join us on Facebook!