Date: 10/9/17 8:58 pm
From: 'Nancy McAllister' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Big Year talk- Tuesday evening!
Hello fellow birders!
Many of you have asked when I'll be doing my Mom's Big Year presentation again locally. Hoping you can join us for one of these events. See more details below about my Big Year.
I'm in the midst of running my Fall 2017 circuit with two talks coming up this month in Maryland (one is tonight Tues,10/10 in College Park)www.momsbigyear.comBoth talks are free and open to the public.
If you'll be heading to the the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival in Harlingen, TX in Nov, I'll be presenting there as well as participating in a Big Year panel discussion.
Hoping our paths cross at one of these events soon!
Good birding,Nancy
Upcoming Maryland events:
1. Patuxent Bird Club/Prince George's County Audubon Tuesday, October 10, 7:30 pm, doors open at 7 pm, College Park Airport Operations Building, 2nd Floor 1909 Corporal Frank Scott Dr., College Park, MD 20740 https://testmww.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/pbc-newsletter-sept-oct-2017.pdf 2. Washington County Bird ClubTuesday October 24. 6pmPotluck followed by Mom's Big Year by Nancy McAllister. Bring your own place setting, drink, and a dish to share. 6 PM dinner, 7 PM meeting. Mt. Aetna Nature Center, 21905 Mt Aetna Rd. Call 301-797-8454 for additional details. ____________________________
Join Nancy McAllister on her journey through a ‘Mom’s Big Year’ of birding the U.S.
Nancy traveled to hotspots from coast-to-coast to see as many birds as possible throughout 2016. She encountered beautiful birds and fascinating people along the way. A Big Year is no small feat for a mom managing all the duties that go along with three young children, a husband and two unexpected new jobs! Returning to her life-long passion for nature and travel proved to be both exhausting and exhilarating. Nancy used the Big Year to begin her journey of healing after a family tragedy and has many wonderful and heartwarming stories to share from her Big Year adventures. Hear more about how Nancy juggled life, work, and family, and used her birding adventures to heal, renew, and rediscover herself. Nancy’s adventures are sure to inspire! Come and hear about how fueling your passion for nature can change your life too!
Biography: Nancy McAllister is a biologist at the North American Bird Banding Laboratory and an adjunct professor of environmental science at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. She loves combining a career in field work, research and education. Nancy became an avid birder in the mid-1980s in her home state of New Jersey. Since then she’s worked for The Nature Conservancy and the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, and she started a non-profit watershed association. Recently, Nancy has been working with Wildside Nature Tours and did her own 2016 Big Year of birding, a Mom’s Big Year (www.momsbigyear.com). In February 2017, she was appointed by her County Executive to Howard County’s Environmental Sustainability Board. Nancy holds an M.S. in Conservation Biology and Sustainable Development and lives in Ellicott City, Maryland with her husband, Paul, and their three children.

~Nancy McAllister “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”  ~Howard Thurman