Date: 10/9/17 7:45 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Eleven people, gathered in the parking lot in the dark and the pelting rain, about to wander off in the woods looking for birds on the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  Birders are a strange breed.  But, even with the heavy rain we managed to assemble a list of 30 species with no particular highlights.  When it was done, the same 11, soaked to the skin, enjoyed a light breakfast picnic under the sheltering roof of the outdoor classroom produced by my partner, Nancy, with contributions from several regulars.

Canada Goose  75
Wood Duck  25
Mallard  1
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  2
Mourning Dove  7
Chimney Swift  25
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  7
American Crow  17
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  5
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  34
Gray Catbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  33
Common Grackle  2
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park