Date: 10/9/17 7:44 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Ankeny Scouting Trip Report*

*October 8, 2017*

Hello all -

On Sunday morning, Kay and I scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our
Salem Audubon birding field trip on *Sunday, October 15th at 8:00 a.m.*
We walked 6.6 miles during the scouting trip. The weather was partly
sunny with temperatures ranging from 46 degrees to 54 degrees. During the
scouting trip we identified 50 species.

Most notable identifications:

*Note:* For this trip we only counted the number of species observed not
the total number of birds observed!

Some of the best sightings were Greater White-fronted Geese, an American
Bittern, Red-shouldered Hawk, Peregrine Falcon and Western Meadowlark.

A complete list of today's birds follows. The next SAS bird walk is
*Wednesday,
October 11th at 8:00 AM* at *Talking Water Gardens*. Meet at the Airport
Park & Ride. Our Ankeny NWR is on *Sunday, October 15th at 8:00 a.m.*
Meet at the Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. Please join us if you can.

Fred Stephens, Sr.

*Checklist Summary for October 8, 2017 (8:08 – 10:45 AM)*

Number of Checklists: 1
Number of Species: 50

Greater White-fronted Goose
Cackling Goose