Date: 10/9/17 4:29 pm
From: Logan Kline <logan.kline1997...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Dead house sparrows
Hello!

I've just signed up to this site so please forgive me if I'm missing any obvious information! I live in College Park, MD and have a bird feeder in my backyard. I have had two male house sparrows drop dead at my feeder in the past eight days; one was found on 10/01 and I just found the other today on 10/09. The first bird had no obvious signs of illness or injury, but the second one had three growths on its toes. Not sure if this is correlated.

Has anyone had experience with this before? I am planning on scouring my feeder clean and checking out my food supply before putting it back out. Obviously two birds could just be an unlucky coincidence; I'll be really concerned after three! In the meantime, does anyone know of where I could send these birds? I have frozen them in sealed plastic bags at the moment and only plan on keeping them in there until I can or can't find somewhere to take them since there are legal ramifications for keeping bird specimens.

Thanks for any advice!