Date: 10/9/17 4:04 pm
From: <canyon53ss...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] #Canyon2Fire / #CanyonFire2 road closures
The hashtag fire in the title (both active on twitter) is causing a lot of road closures in this area and with that likely some park closures. Some are listed on these sites.

Just assume ALL of Santiago Canyon will be closed at some point as it is now closed to everyone at Jamboree/Chapman and I expect they will only allow residents in through El Toro Road any time. The fire is actually active at Chapman/Jamboree, in the NW part of Irvine Park and unfortunately in a lot of residential areas including near Santiago Hills II. I have to assume Irvine Regional is/will be closed as well, and if the fire progresses further into the canyons, I wouldn't be surprised if it is again open only to fire crews/command. N. Tustin and portions of E. Orange are under mandatory evac as are Anaheim Hills, Orange Park Acres and portions of Villa Park. Just assume you can't get through any of these areas.

Toll roads are closed 241/261 at Santiago Canyon to 91.

In other words, bird on the coastal plains, W. Orange etc. and the coast for the next little while. I hope it doesn't come into the canyons, though, FYI, I am packed to go already. I have 20 animals to evac and it takes a while, so I get ready early. Fine now though.

In any event, I would call before going near any public facilities in these areas. I know Yorba Park was taking horses in on its westerly end earlier. It's very fluid right now and the winds are changing to blow easterly at the moment. It was 10 years and 11 days ago that the huge Santiago Fire started. Unlucky October, I guess.

Sherry Meddick
Silverado

Join us on Facebook!