Date: 10/9/17 1:41 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: =?utf-8?Q?Skinner’s_Butte-_Deforestation_?Message-Id: <23164555-9BCA-4612-A14B-91A4B50CBF91...>
"Restoration" is an ambiguous concept, It is a buzzword these days and
generally bring brownie points to administrators that instigate the process.
It is rare indeed that baseline data is gathered, botanical or zoological. So
we'll never really know the impact of this or that "restoration". Prunus avium,
the mazzard or seedling cherry, was removed from Mt Tabor during it's
recent makeover. It is not a native species in Oregon, and the Kingdom of
Norway black-listed it last year--officially declared invasive in that nation.
But it provides flowers/nectar/insects to migrants in April when few native
species re providing such. A doughty thicket of poison oak(Toxicodendron
sp.) was sequesterd by decades of blackberry on the trail up the south side
of Mt Tabor. The restoration removed the invasive blackberries, making the
poison oak readily accessible to all passing dogs,children, and oblivious adults.
We can look forward to decades more of these good intentions and variable
results. Basically, any anthropogenic disturbance based on good intentions
is now called a "restoration". lpn
On Oct 9, 2017, at 11:41 AM, <1sallyhill.9...> wrote:

> I went up to Skinners Butte this morning and was horrified to find that they have not only removed invasive species like ivy, scotch broom , and blackberries but they have , felled trees and removed almost all ground cover on the south west slope. The most disturbing to me is that they removed the small trees and the large round shrub just to the west of the parking lot where countless migratory species past through. I dont know if there was a public comment period for this project, but I do intend to call the city to see if they are going to do some replanting.
> If anyone knows about the Citys plans please let me know.
>
> Sent from my iPhonePOST: Send your post to <obol...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!