Date: 10/9/17 12:59 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Fermi Lab-Lake Law & A.E. Sea Monday 10-9-17
Hello Bird People,

Heard from the Fermi bird monitors that both Nelson's & LeConte's
Sparrows had been seen lately in the usual wet grassy areas so today
Bob Erickson (who is on vacation) & I went to try & find them.
Eventually we did see one of each outnumbered by many Swamp Sparrows.
Other highlights were
one fly-by white SNOW GOOSE, 5 LONG BILLED DOWITCHERS on mudflats, 2
Bald Eagles, a Pipit & a
"getting late" Semipalmated Plover. Here's our list:

Fermi Lab (8:30-11 a.m.)

Lake Law

P.B. Grebe (3)
D.C. Cormorant (55-60)
Great Blue Heron (5)
Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (60-65)
SNOW GOOSE (1 white phase flying with Canada's)
BALD EAGLE (1-IM on the mud flats & 1-AD soaring above)
Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Red Tailed Hawk (2 fly-bys)
Coots (3)
Killdeer (41)
Semipalmated Plover (1)
Greater (1) & Lesser (2) Yellowlegs
LONG BILLED DOWITCHER (1)
Ring Billed Gull (7)
Crows (7)
AMERICAN PIPIT (1 on the mud flats)

A.E. Sea

More Cormorants, Great Blues (~20) & Great Egrets (55)
Uncounted Mallards, Shovelers & both Blue Winged & Green Winged Teal
One Sora called from the cattails & a few more Ring Billed Gulls were flying by
Repeat shorebirds in larger numbers were Killdeer (4), Greater (2) &
Lesser (11) Yellowlegs &
four more LONG BILLED DOWITCHERS

Some interesting birds not at either lake area included:

Sandhill Crane (2 on the lawn by the Red Barn)
An Eastern Phoebe & a heard only Catbird
Warblers were only Y.R. Myrtles & Palms
Sparrows were Song (3), Swamp (~15) & White Throated (~10)
"Stars of the show" for land birds were one each LECONTE'S & NELSON'S Sparrow
We did not re-find the White Fronted Geese I saw last time.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the hard to find & see LeConte's Sparrow &
Runners-Up to the Snow Goose, the 5 Long Billed Dowitchers & the
Nelson's Sparrow.
Had 48 species in spite of only covering 1 location for 2 1/2 hours today.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County this a.m.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: