Date: 10/9/17 12:24 pm
From: Jon King <jonking030...>
Subject: Re: Hawks and Monarchs
I was also outside around noon today in Lawrence, and like Gregg, I noted ~ 1 Hawk per minute passing overhead. In total I had ~25 Turkey Vultures, ~15 Red-tailed Hawks (all borealis except for one that in some ways suggested abieticola), 3 Kestrels, 3 Harriers, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, and 1 Bald Eagle. That's not bad for a suburban area in Lawrence.

Earlier this morning I had two flocks of White-fronted Geese (FOS) passing over the house. Also passing over this morning were the following migrants: 1 Pine Siskin, 1 Horned Lark, Blue Jays, 1 Flicker, and 1 Swainson's Hawk.

Yesterday three Meadowlarks flew over the yard, suggesting they were migrating, as you won't find them otherwise in the middle of Lawrence. Earlier yesterday morning Matt Longabaugh and I walked at the Baker Wetlands. Sparrow numbers were rather disappointing for this time of year (esp. Swamp and Savannah which should be abundant there right now).

Clearly a lot of things are on the move with this front coming in. The high tomorrow is projected to be ~25 F cooler than the high today when I checked this morning.

Jon King
Lawrence, KS

Sent from my iPhone

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html