Date: 10/9/17 11:10 am
From: Thomas Turner <tomleeturner...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Tenn Warbler on campus
Hi all,

I bumped into a probable Tennessee Warbler on campus today. My description of the bird and it’s location are below.

The alders East of the bus circle were birdy again, with at least 3 Black-Throated Gray Warblers and some common birds. There are lots of Yellow-Rumps in the Morton Bay Fig on the Physics Quad, but I didn’t see other warblers in the ~2 minutes I looked.

The Tenn Warbler: An indistinct, yellow-all-over warbler, but I think it was was a 1st year Tenn rather than an Orange Crowned Warbler. It had a very different face than OCs, lacking the dark eye line. It had a distinct pale superscillium. I remembered to check under-tail coverts and they were lighter than the rest of the bird, if not by much. Didn't remember to check tail length or whether streaking was limited to flanks. It was feeding actively in a mallet flower tree (Schefflera pueckleri, I think) that is growing up against the South side of Campbell Hall. A Townsend's Warbler was working in the same tree.

Tom

Goleta

------------------------------------
Posted by: Thomas Turner <tomleeturner...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)