Date: 10/9/17 6:38 am
From: dan.cerveny <dan.cerveny...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Cedar Rapids, new lifer - Belted Kingfisher
I saw the weather radars lit up behind the cold front last night, so I
walked down to the open field/creek next to my house again first thing this
morning. I saw couple pairs of mallards, more sparrows (swamp, song,
white-throated(first-of season)), a couple warblers, and more phoebes).
However, I was freezing and just about to go home when I saw the big
prize. I heard a loud cackling call, then turned and saw a large bird, in
flight, that kinda looked like a blue jay, but wasn't a blue jay. It was
larger, the blue was darker, and had a very distinct light brown pattern on
its side with light underparts. It swept down into the creek a couple
times, then flew up and away downstream... all the while continuing its
distinctive cackling. I had no idea what it was. It certainly wasn't any
of the birds I've looked over in my bird book or online, with the
expectation I might see sometime. When I got home and checked my book, the
Belted Kingfisher immediately stood out. That was it. Awesome.