Date: 10/9/17 5:43 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (07 Oct 2017) 50 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 3
Unknown Eagle 0 0 2
Unknown Raptor 0 1 28

Total: 50 245 4909

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers: Becky Suomala, Dylan Jackson, Joey Richardson, Julie Brown,
Mara Factor, Mark Suomala, Mark Timmerman, Pam Hunt,
Phil Brown, Robert Vallieres, Tom Brewton,
with many more....

Visitors:
Four hundred and twenty two, including many members of New Hampshire's
birding and conservation communities, as well as neighbors and travelers
from afar. A very warm thank you to everyone who stopped to share stories
and jokes, those who helped spot raptors and other species, and those who
brought goodies to boost our energy for the big day! Our deepest gratitude
to those who made pledges for our Big Sit, and to those who donated or
bought a raptor observatory hat today.

Weather:
It was completely cloudy or nearly so all day, with hazy/heavy air and
light variable to SE winds. A spot of drizzle mid-afternoon was more
refreshing than threatening. Temps ranged from the low 50s in the morning
to the low 70s by the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
Falcons and small to medium accipiters ruled the day, with a sprinkling of
migrant TV's. Otherwise there was an unfortunate lack of raptor diversity
to add to our species list.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today was Carter Hill Raptor Observatory's Big Sit! Forty-seven species
were documented from the observation platform, as follows (in order of
detection):

Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Yellow-rumped Warbler
American Robin
Blue Jay
Mourning Dove
Savannah Sparrow
Hairy Woodpecker
Golden-crowned Kinglet
American Crow
Swamp Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Goldfinch
Cedar Waxwing
Common Grackle
White-crowned Sparrow
Palm Warbler
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Purple Finch
Eastern Phoebe
Lincoln's Sparrow
Brown Creeper
American Kestrel
Common Raven
Eastern Bluebird
Dark-eyed Junco
Downy Woodpecker
Indigo Bunting
Gray Catbird
Ring-billed Gull
Great Blue Heron
European Starling
Merlin
Cooper's Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Tufted Titmouse
Blackpoll Warbler
Double-crested Cormorant
Mallard
Red-winged Blackbird
Peregrine Falcon
Black-capped Chickadee
Pileated Woodpecker
Canada Goose
Northern Flicker
Wood Duck

In addition, a Northern Cardinal was heard away from the platform, 77
Monarch butterflies were seen (as well as a few other butterfly species,
such as sulphurs and ladies).

Predictions:
Some showers will pass through, but intervals of clear weather may offer
periods when raptors may try to move.
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679