Date: 10/9/17 4:30 am
From: Sue Newland <newlandsue60...>
Subject: Cimarron Grasslands
Dear all,

My sister and I made a trip to Cimarron Grasslands over the weekend. Tom
Schermerhorn and Sam were also birding there. There were numerous
Woodhouse's Scrub-jays in several groups wandering around and seen by
both groups in several different spots. We saw over 200 Sandhill Cranes
flying overhead and the next morning saw 3 in one of the picnic areas,
so they are on the move. Both groups also observed a Western Tanager.
Tom and Sam saw a Lewis's Woodpecker which I missed. EBird flagged all
flycatchers as rare, I guess because of the time of year, but I saw some
at most of the stops we made. Both groups also saw what may have been
Steller's Jays but did not get good enough looks for positive ID.

There was water in the river preventing one of the low-water crossings
in our car. The birding was on the light side, but the birds there were
good ones.

Sue Newland, Wakarusa

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to