Date: 10/8/17 9:44 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Lyons Woods, Illinois Beach South & North & A Quick Stop At Rollins Savanna 10-8-17
Hello Bird People,

Covered a lot of ground but didn't see much of value so once again I
will try & do a short report although I am not very good at keeping
things brief as is well know. Maybe this time.

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Inlet (7-8 a.m. with Bob Erickson)

No birds at all on the beach but on the pier were 10 Sanderlings, 20
Herring Gulls, 1 Coot & 1 D.C. Cormorant. In the inlet were 3 P.B.
Grebes, no ducks & although I missed it Bob saw the Common Gallinule I
1st saw about a week ago. It hid in the reeds before I could get on
it.

Lyons Woods (8:15-9:15 a.m. by myself)

The Lake Co birders have found Siskins here but I did not today. Some
birds of interest included
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker (1), Red Breasted Nuthatch (2), G.C.
Kinglets, a slightly late House Wren
& a male Eastern Towhee. The only warblers were Y.R. Myrtles & Palms.
The only sparrows were Field (1), Song (2), White Crowned (5) & White
Throated (9).

Illinois Beach South (9:30-11 a.m. by myself)

On the beach were 3 Herring Gulls & 2 PEREGRINES & nothing else.
On the trails were more of the same as at Lyons & also 2 Eastern Bluebirds.

Later Bob & I checked State Line Beach which had Sanderlings earlier
but had only people & dogs when we got there. More Eastern Bluebirds
by the Hawk Watch area.

Made a short stop at Rollins Savanna but the sunlight kept me from
I.D.ing the many ducks & other birds on the small island but I did see
1 Long Billed Dowitcher & 2 Killdeer along with Cormorants, Great
Blues & Trumpeter Swans. For more info on what was there check ebird
reports from Beau S & Brian S as they were there quite a while & have
better lists.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the far away Dowitcher & Runner-Up to the well seen
Red Breasted Nuthatch.
Well that's a fairly short report at least for me.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: