Date: 10/8/17 7:51 pm
From: Douglas Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Osprey explosion at High Trestle Trail Hawkwatch
We had a very good day at the 6th annual Hawkwatch, held at the High
Trestle Trail bridge between Madrid and Woodward, in southern Boone
County. We don't have all total numbers compiled yet, but we observed at
least 11 raptor species between 10 AM & 4 PM, the biggest diversity in the
history of this event.

Most amazing perhaps were *13 Ospreys*--more than ever recorded at this
Hawkwatch. Also good were *5 Peregrine Falcons*, *3 Merlins* & *4 Northern
Harriers*. All species appeared to be in a steady southern migration down
the Des Moines River valley.

The day was really better-than-expected, given mid-80s temp, strong SW
winds, and near-insanity causing bites by thousands of pirate bugs (aka
"no-see-ums"). But event co-hosts Bruce and Marlene Ehresman, Pat
Schlarbaum, Eric Ollie, Matt Wetrich and myself still managed to survive
and may consider this perhaps the best Hawkwatch in our 6 years at this
location.

Doug Harr
[image: Inline image 1]