Date: 10/8/17 5:50 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Cape Blanco wagtail report
Thanks, Tim, for forwarding further information on behavior from the
observer. For me this bit of the description is rather compelling:

"The wing coloration does not look quite right for the bird I
saw but this is as close to what I saw as I have been able to
find. It paused in flight right in front of us to grab an insect
in flight, almost like a flycatcher or a bluebird."

as wagtails can be quite agile in flight, and can often be seen hawking
insects from perches in their breeding habitat.

I looked this up in Alström and Mild's "Pipits and Wagtails" just to
make sure I'm not over-inflating my own recollections from
Sweden/Finland. In their species account for White Wagtail (which
includes Black-backed as a subspecies, lugens) they note on p. 386,"Also
captures insects in the air after fluttering chases."

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>