Date: 10/8/17 5:15 pm
From: Stringer, Randy C. <RCStringer...>
Subject: NW Pa on 10/7/2017
Dear Birders,

Yesterday I spent all day birding Presque Isle State Park in Erie County (hereafter PI), Pymatuning Area (PY) in Crawford County, and a few spots in Mercer County (M). I tallied 89 species and had nine species of raptors, ten species of warblers, ten species of waterfowl, and ten species of shorebirds.

Weather was muggy, temperatures ranged from 63 to 81 degrees. Light rain fell in the morning at PI but it eventually cleared into mostly sunny skies by noon. PY was sunny with temperatures in the 70's and incessant southwest wind all day; at PI it was out of the southwest and steady.

PI held the warblers with Orange-crowned (2), Magnolia, Palm, Blackpoll, Bay-breasted, American Redstart, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Yellow-rumped and Common Yellowthroat.

Additionally PI had Winter Wren (3), Y.B. Sapsucker (4), Brown Creeper (2), Hermit Thrush (17), and a total of 38 kinglets of both species.

Raptors at PI were well represented with Cooper's Hawk (3), Sharp-shinned (1), and an immature Northern Goshawk that called repeatedly on Pine Tree Trail. Two Peregrine Falcons were hunting in Thompson Bay Inlet.

A flock of 18 Blue-winged Teal was notable in Thompson Bay Inlet, both for the date and the number.

Sparrows included Lincoln's (4) and White-crowned (2). Thompson Bay Inlet also had a single Great Egret plus a Black-belled Plover at Beach #11.

Moving on to Pymatuning and the Fish Hatchery at Linesville. At the spit east of the main building, I noted both yellowlegs, Short and Long Billed Dowitcher, Stilt Sandpiper, Dunlin, with Killdeer plus Black-bellied and American Golden Plover. Two Great Egrets were also present.

A total of 27 Bald Eagles were seen in three locations.

Mercer County provided a few missed species including Pied-billed Grebe, Mute Swan, and thousands of blackbirds, including two Rusty Blackbirds.

Good Birding,

Randy Stringer
Grove City, PA

Join us on Facebook!