Date: 10/8/17 4:32 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (YB Chat, CC Sparrow, Whimbrel and continuing rarities)
Jane and I spent the day birding the coast with Becky Suomala. Hoping to
relocate some of the continuing rarities and maybe find some other goodies.

Highlights included:

Continuing Rarities
--------------------------
Red Knot - 1 juvenile continues in Hampton harbor with Black-bellied Plovers
Orange-crowned Warbler - At least one bird continues near beginning of
Boy Scout Trail at Odiorne.
Dickcissel - 2 birds continue from Goss Farm in Rye.  Today they were
inseparable.
https://flic.kr/p/YeJsmk
https://flic.kr/p/ZbCN53

And a few Bonus Birds included at least 11 species that we missed yesterday!
American Black Duck
Bonaparte's Gull - Cool flock of 93 at Odiorne Point State Park. Nothing
rare mixed in.
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3 in Hampton Saltmarsh
https://flic.kr/p/YeJsEM
WHIMBREL - 1 latish bird in Hampton Saltmarsh
https://flic.kr/p/Yb9Mqj
Peregrine Falcon - 3+ for day.  Not sure why we couldn't find any
yesterday!  Today's birds included a dark immature flying low over the
ocean waves with a Gannet and which caused me to yell out JAEGER!
Before I figured out it was "only" a Peregrine Falcon! This bird was
MIGRATING south directly into 28 knot winds!  Later in the afternoon, we
had a DRAMATIC experience with an adult Peregrine Falcon.  While
watching the shorebirds in the Hampton Saltmarsh, a Peregrine came out
of nowhere and nabbed a yellowlegs!  Very dramatic and I managed a few
photos of the scene!
https://flic.kr/p/Yb9LSA
https://flic.kr/p/ZbCNDQ
Common Raven - 1 being dive-bombed by Crow in Hampton.
PRAIRIE WARBLER - 1 boldly marked bird at Odiorne.  Late.
Palm Warbler
YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT - 1 in same bush with Orange-crowned Warbler at
beginning of Boy Scout Trail at Odiorne. Picked out by Becky.
Clay-colored Sparrow - 1 continues at Goss Farm in Rye.

Steve & Jane Mirick along with Becky Suomala
Bradford, MA