Date: 10/8/17 4:27 pm
From: eggnog88 <eggnog88...>
Subject: [COBOL] rose-breasted grosbeak in Madras
About 4pm, shortly after adding a second feeder with black oil sunflower seeds in our SE Madras backyard, an immature male rose-breasted grosbeak showed up! More brown like a female, but had just a little vee and trail of red on his breast, definite red flash under the wing close to the body, and the obvious white wing spots. Never seen one before and had to look it up. Unfortunately, the phone pics are horribly pixilated at the zoom level to even see it.

Probably would have missed him if I hadn’t been so entertained by the mountain chickadee grabbing seeds and flying off to stash them in juniper tree trunks around the house. Also have had a mix of golden-crowned sparrows, white-crowned sparrows, chipping sparrows, spotted towhees, juncos, cedar waxwings, flickers, scrub jays, and the thirstiest robins. They really like the shallow tray of water more than the deeper bird bath and I have had to refill them twice daily all week!

Happy sunny Sunday!
Stacy S.