Date: 10/8/17 3:06 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Bar-taied Godwit and Reddish Egrets continue
We (Jeannie Kraus, Marty Wall, Steve Howell, and I) found the Bar-tailed
Godwit at east Shackleford Banks (Cape Lookout NS) today. We found it at
high tide (a very high high tide) on the ocean (= bight) side of the island.
When we first spotted it, it was in a large flock of shorebirds made up
primarily of Black-bellied Plovers, with some Short-billed Dowitchers and
Red Knots.

Other shorebirds included 6 Wilson's Plovers.

2 Reddish Egrets continue on the "Hidden Flats".

A newly germinated growth of what I thought might be Ipomoea pes-caprae last
week has grown a lot in one week (to a well-defined vine) and it is
definitely that species, which is very rare in North Carolina.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!