Date: 10/8/17 2:25 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sterna just flew by on Willamette River-bad pics- id help?
The bill looks too long and thick for an Arctic. Absence of carpal bar eliminates Common. I think it's likely a Forster's.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 8, 2017, at 2:00 PM, Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...><mailto:<mapsout...>> wrote:

Hi all,

This tern just flew south right in front of my window (about 1:45 pm) on the Willamette River near the north end of Ross Island - South Waterfront. He was cruising slowly close to the western shore right under my nose! Looking through the bins I saw a partial black cap - and the rest looked all white from above, very uniform in shading overall - I'm on the 6th floor looking down on him. I didn't see any carpal bar or other particular shadings in the wings from above. The secondaries all looked light. The bill was tiny. Could this be an Arctic???

I picked up my camera and did a "Hail Mary" shoot as he was leaving my view from my balcony. I got these pics.

Any thoughts??

https://flic.kr/p/YewXKz
https://flic.kr/p/YewXFM
https://flic.kr/p/YewXBi