Date: 10/8/17 1:24 pm
From: Deapesh Misra via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Ruffed Grouse in Centreville ?
Hi,
While driving around yesterday afternoon in centreville (Fairfax county), I saw a few cars stalled on the road and quickly realized that they were waiting for a bird to walk across the road.
I did a quick u-turn to get back to the area where the bird was - this is the wooded area close to where I-66 passes above Compton road.
As my car passed by, I noticed the bird crawling slowly in the bushes. I came back on foot and was unable to spot it until I flushed it. It ran away from me and then took to its wings and flew at a low height to a few far off trees. I think I saw a band on its tail.
From what little i saw — it seemed like a Ruffed Grouse to me.

Is that possible or could it be some domesticated escapee bird?
Cheers,
- Deapesh.