Date: 10/8/17 11:21 am
From: Linda Rudolph <lgrudolph...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Pileated Woodpecker and Peregrine Falcon- Johnson County
11 people went on the Iowa City Bird Club Field Trip this morning. We had near perfect weather, with sunshine and no wind. The Field Trip started on the River Walk Trail below the Coralville Dam. Highlights here were:

Pileated Woodpecker- Spotted by a participant on their very first bird walk.
Peregrine Falcon- this falcon practically filled our binoculars as it went rocketing past, giving us great looks.
Yellow-rumped Warblers- They were every where. There were so many it made it hard to pick out other species. At the end of the trail everyone offered a best guess as to how many Yellow-rumps we had seen. We agreed on 125 as our number. It was more Yellow-rumps than I can remember seeing on one short trail.

Next we went on the Woodpecker Trail. This trail is maybe ½ mile from the River Walk Trail…and we didn’t see a single Yellow-rumped Warbler. Amazing. We stopped at an overlook and were awed at the number of birds filling the skies. We weren’t equipped for raptor watching, but it was apparent that a lot of raptors were on the move. Besides the Peregrine, we ID’d Cooper’s Hawk, Bald Eagle, Turkey Vultures, Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Harrier and Broad-winged Hawk. However, many raptors escaped without a positive ID.

All in all it was a wonderful morning spent watching the birds with a great group of people.

Linda Rudolph
Coralville