Date: 10/8/17 11:21 am
From: Larry Meade via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dyke Marsh: Oct 8, 2017

The weekly Sunday 8:00 AM walk sponsored by the Friends of Dyke Marsh and free and open to all was a bit dark and moist this morning. Eight people came out for what proved to be a decent outing despite the conditions. The leaders were Phil Kenny and me with help from Ed Eder. We were fortunate that the rain held off for the most part with only a few sprinkles. Birding was a little slow, but we did enjoy close looks at some waterfowl has come in recently including Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, Ruddy Ducks, and Northern Shovelers. Warblers remain scarce with only three species encountered. We are hopeful that fall migration has been bottled up north of us and that there will be another surge of migrants once the winds change. Other highlights were nice looks at Bald Eagles, some American Coots, a House Wren, and a Belted Kingfisher. A Green Heron was apparently present in the marina earlier in the morning, but it was not seen when we were there.

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA

Dyke Marsh, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Oct 8, 2017 7:26 AM - 10:50 AM