Date: 10/8/17 11:07 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Wagtail?
More comments from observer.

Tim

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Wendy Dodson* <wdodson...>
Date: Sunday, October 8, 2017
Subject: Fwd: Wagtail?
To: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>

I have seen Black Phoebes many times in AZ. The bird we saw had much more
white on the body, wings and tail than a Black Phoebe.

Sent from my iPod

On Oct 8, 2017, at 6:01 AM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','<timrodenkirk...>');>> wrote:

Ann,

It is certainly possible as long as they were sure it was not a Black
Phoebe which are common in that area?

Tim

On Saturday, October 7, 2017, Ann Vileisis <annvil...>
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','<annvil...>');>> wrote:

> I thought you guys would be interested in this reported sighting.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ann
>
> Ann Vileisis
> President
> Kalmiopsis Audubon Society
> P.O. Box 1265
> Port Orford, OR 97465
>
> 541-332-0261
> www.kalmiopsisaudubon.org
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *Wendy Dodson <wdodson...>
> *Subject: **Wagtail?*
> *Date: *October 7, 2017 at 1:24:30 PM MST
> *To: *<annvil...>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm a birder from Montana who recently spent 10 days at Cape Blanco State
> Park. As we were leaving the park on the morning of 9/26, my husband and I
> encountered a black and white bird flying across the road from north to
> south just west of the Pioneer Cemetery. I knew as soon as I saw it that it
> was a bird I did not know. I hit the brakes and backed up to try and
> relocate it for a better view. It was bigger than a junco, smaller than a
> robin, not a woodpecker or a shorebird. It was only black and white with a
> longish tail and white on the outside edges of the tail, similar to a
> junco. I consulted the only bird book I had with me, a Peterson's Guide to
> Western Birds as well as iBird Pro and Audubon Birds on my electronic
> device. The only bird that matched what both my husband and I saw was a
> Black-Backed Wagtail. We looked every day as we went by the fields and
> drove along the road to the horse camp at Cape Blanco hoping to see it but
> never did relocate it. Just thought I would let you know about the
> possibility of a rare bird in your area.
>
> Wendy Dodson
>
> Troy, MT

Join us on Facebook!