Date: 10/8/17 8:08 am
From: Jeff Harding <jeffharding...>
Subject: [obol] Off-topic - Yellow-green or Black-whiskered Vireo? (Colombia)
Here is a bird that is a little puzzling, and good birders differ on its
identification:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffharding/37268045800/in/datetaken-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffharding/37516888111/in/datetaken-public/

Some people have noted the apparent faint whisker, and with other
characteristics, including the strength of the eye-line behind the eye, and
the lateral crown-stripe, and conclude that it is a Black-whiskered Vireo.

Others note the large, pale pinkish bill, and faint yellowish wash across
the flanks, and conclude that it is a Yellow-green Vireo. The apparent
whisker may be an arrangement of feathers that allows grayish feather-bases
to show.

I photographed the bird at about 1200 meters elevation on the west slope of
the eastern cordillera of the Andes in Cundinamarca, Colombia on August 29,
2017. At that location, Yellow-green Vireo would be more likely than
Black-whiskered, the latter being more common further north.

I would appreciate opinion. Currently, I'm leaning toward the Yellow-green
Vireo, mainly for the pale bill.

Thanks,

Jeff

Join us on Facebook!