Date: 10/8/17 8:01 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Wagtail? (Cape Blanco State Park on 9/26)
Hi Tim, Ann & All,

The description sounds reasonable for a wagtail. The fact that it was
only seen once certainly fits the pattern for most wagtails found in
Oregon!

It could be helpful to ask if the observer can recall anything about the
bird's behavior, after she backed up and relocated it for a better view.
Or did she only see it flying?

Happy birding,
Joel

Wendy Dodson wrote:

I'm a birder from Montana who recently spent 10 days at Cape
Blanco State Park. As we were leaving the park on the morning of
9/26, my husband and I encountered a black and white bird flying
across the road from north to south just west of the Pioneer
Cemetery. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was a bird I did
not know. I hit the brakes and backed up to try and relocate it
for a better view. It was bigger than a junco, smaller than a
robin, not a woodpecker or a shorebird. It was only black and
white with a longish tail and white on the outside edges of the
tail, similar to a junco. I consulted the only bird book I had
with me, a Peterson's Guide to Western Birds as well as iBird
Pro and Audubon Birds on my electronic device. The only bird
that matched what both my husband and I saw was a Black-Backed
Wagtail. We looked every day as we went by the fields and drove
along the road to the horse camp at Cape Blanco hoping to see it
but never did relocate it. Just thought I would let you know
about the possibility of a rare bird in your area.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>