Date: 10/7/17 11:36 pm
From: Anant Deshwal <adeshwal...>
Subject: Red Crossbills at Shores Lake
Joe Neal, Joan Reynolds, Pooja Panwar and I were on a mission to record the
vocalizations of Red Crossbills. Continuous rain forced us to take shelter
near Shores Lake recreational area, where we met Sandy Berger and Cheryl
Childers Here we were greeted by 1 immature and 2 adult Bald-headed Eagle,
1 Great-blue Heron, 1 Least Sandpiper, 9 Blue-winged Teals and 1 Pileated
Woodpecker, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Chickadee, Eastern Phoebe and
Killdeer.

Once the rains stopped we headed to the Shortleaf Pine stand along the
ridge and found 3 crossbills along highway 215 (0.3 miles south of
intersection of 215 and county road 75 that goes down to Shores Lake).
Pooja and I were able to record their vocalizations. Karen Holliday and her
group joined us and had an amazing view of the crossbills feeding on the
pine cones.

Driving further down 215, we stopped at various probable sites to observe
crossbills but we found 2 Broad-winged hawks, 2 hairy woodpeckers, 2
Sharp-shinned hawks, 2 Red-shouldered hawks, 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Osprey,
10 Pine Warblers, 1 adult Bald-headed Eagle and Blue Jays.

Joan also found a yellow goldenrod crab spider feeding on a fly atop a
goldenrod flower.

Anant Deshwal
Ph.D. Candidate
Deptt. of Biological Sciences