Date: 10/7/17 7:14 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, Oct 7, 2017
Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

Oct 7, 2017 12:05 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments: For much of the time I birded with Erik Nielsen and Simon Perkins. At the end we joined John Keeley and Suzanne Sullivan on the dike overlooking Bill Forward Pool. I did much walking on the dike (from the sub-hq) and in Hellcat Swamp (which was stone dead). Highlights were an American bittern, an early Lapland longspur, two small flocks of pectoral sandpipers, and a great cormorant.
33 species (+1 other taxon)

Canada Goose 80
American Wigeon 19
Mallard 7
American Black Duck 230
Northern Pintail 13
Green-winged Teal (American) 27
Great Cormorant 1 Flew close by me when I was walking the dike. Not with any of the DCCOs.
Double-crested Cormorant 30
American Bittern 1 Flying over the marsh at high tide; seen from dike at sub-hq.
Great Blue Heron 4
Great Egret 7
Snowy Egret 1
Turkey Vulture 5 probably an under-count, but that's the most I could see at one time
Northern Harrier 2
Black-bellied Plover 50 Most if not all juveniles. Rough estimate; almost all shorebirds were in BFP.
Dunlin 150 rough estimate
Pectoral Sandpiper 16 In two flocks (10 and 6) that flew over us on dike at sub-hq. Both flocks were giving their reedy trill in flight. I saw the 2nd flock land briefly at the North Pool overlook.
peep sp. 100 distant; rough estimate.
Ring-billed Gull 4
Herring Gull 30
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 14
Black-capped Chickadee 1
American Robin 4
Northern Mockingbird 5
Lapland Longspur 1 Flew over us calling as we walked on the dike at sub-hq.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
White-throated Sparrow 7 small group flew across road at Hellcat, calling
Savannah Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 9
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 3