Date: 10/7/17 3:32 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Curry catbird et al. 10/7/17
I led a Cape Arago Audubon trip down to Pistol River this morning then back
up to Gold Beach. Headed home now (no I am not driving!).

Pistol River was fairly birdy- siskins numbers in the many hundreds, flocks
everywhere. We walked up to the houses then came back and checked the south
side of the hill there where we heard meowing and sure enough were able to
coax a GRAY CATBIRD out into the open. At the very same time the catbird
appeared so did the Kalmiopsis Audubon group so we all ended up having
great views as it sat out in open.

The Cape Arago crew then headed north to Gold Beach. On our way to the
sewage treatment plant we missed our turn and drove slow through a trailer
court where we happened upon a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW with a crown flock that
we had great looks at it in someone's front yard.

From there we were headed to south jetty and had a NORTHERN GOSHAWK
circling right overhead on the west side of the airport.

At the south jetty fennel patch we saw a harrier in hot pursuit of a
LAPLAND LONGSPUR! Very cool, we lost view of the chase when the
birds disappeared over a hill. Maybe 1500 CA Gulls in Gold Beach. Did see
two Herring Gulls and two Heermann's also.

We saw three Yellow Warblers total today- numbers thinning out.

Fun day- sunny in Pistol River then cloudy in Gold Beach with sun coming
out in PM.

Merry migration!
Tim R
headed back to Coos Bay