Date: 10/7/17 12:30 pm
From: Herbert Larner via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Swoope area & Augusta Wetlands --Augusta County
Hello all

This morning I lead a field trip to the Swoope area & Augusta Wetlands , where 3 members of the Augusta Bird Club joined me & we ended the day with 64 species of birds . On the way to Swoope we saw 9 Wild Turkey in a field off of the Woodrow Wilson Parkway . ( Rt 662 ) The high light of the day was 7 Northern Harriers all in one field off of Livick Road , three Bald Eagles one adult , 1 first year & a second year going into 3rd year plumage . Over at Smith's pond we had another high light by the means of a Rusty Blackbird feeding along the edge of the pond . At Smith's we also had about 20 Killdeer , & 4 Wilson's Snipe . Atotal of 8 species of warbler's were seen with Palm , Magnolia , Bay-breasted , Blackpoll , Pine , Common Yellowthroat , Yellow - rumped , Tennessee . All 7 species of Woodpeckers were seen , The best of Sparrow's were the Grasshopper , Swamp , & Savannah . At the Wetlands we had most of the Warblers , a Eastern Wood - Pewee , Blue -headed Vireo , Cedar
Waxwing , both RC & GC Kinglet's , Sharp - shinned Hawk . It was a good trip & the weather was mild to start out this Morning .

Allen Larner

Staunton