Date: 10/7/17 11:39 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Dunes, Beach & Hedge Areas Saturday 10-7-17
Hello Bird People,

Arrived at a little before 8 a.m. as Bob H was leaving. Bob said not
many birds were present but he did have Killdeer, Sanderlings & Snipe
in the dunes/beach area. Decided I'd look for those shorebirds but on
arriving on the beach with Leo M we saw none of those shorebirds.
Later I did find 3 Killdeer on the public beach but that was all. At
one point there were 12 free running dogs on that beach which probably
explains why the Sanderlings were not there! Here's 2 area lists:

Dunes & Beach (8-9:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (5 on towers & 4 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (66 in the lake)
Mallard (23 in the lake)
Coots (4 in the lake)
Cooper's Hawk (1 local young bird)
Killdeer (3)
Ring Billed (55) & Herring (2) Gulls (Beach gulls only)
FORSTER'S TERN (3-4 fly-bys)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (1 in the Willows but it didn't stay)

Hedge Area (9:30-11 a.m.)

Slow going at 1st but I stuck it out & eventually found some land
birds although nothing special.

Flying south (in spite of the hard south winds) were 1 adult Cooper's
Hawk & 1 Sharp Shinned Hawk which took time out of migrating to
briefly chase the Cooper's Hawk.
Eastern Pewee (1 which I originally thought was a Phoebe but was not)
(May have also seen 1 Least Flycatcher but not positive?)
Chickadee (4)
G.C. Kinglet (4-5)
WINTER WREN (2 with 1 giving long good looks & the 2nd not so much)
Hermit Thrush (2)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (18-20)
Palm Warbler (4-5)
Common Yellowthroat (1-F)
Cardinal (2)
Song Sparrow (1-2)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
White Throated Sparrow (12-15)
White Crowned Sparrow (1-IM)
Goldfinch (3-4)
House Sparrow (5-6)

Birds of interest seen by others but not by me included a fly-by
Peregrine (saw the photo),
one Ruby Crowned Kinglet & a FOX SPARROW seen & photographed by Nolan
L. Too bad I missed that one but there will be more & soon.

Maybe not the best bird today but Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the 1st
Winter Wren which was looking for food about 12 ft away from me &
stayed in close view for a full 5 min rather than giving me the usual
20 second look. My longest good look ever at that species & so worthy
of an award.
Runner-Up to the much more distant Forster's Terns 2 of which did get
close enough to see the black face masks well enough.

Al Stokie
Grinding out a few birds at a not overly birdy Montrose Point in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: