Date: 10/7/17 11:34 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] FOS Lincoln's Sparrow
Hey I-Birders,

Harney and I walked at Red Feather Prairie this morning hoping for some
LeConte's Sparrows. No luck on those, and not many migrants in general.
Were they washed away by last night's rains? Did see two flocks of
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, a few SWAMP SPARROWS and my FOS LINCOLN'S
SPARROW. A few YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS made an appearance, and a subadult
BALD EAGLE seemed to be joining a small kettle of vultures.

Also seen were about a dozen Monarchs and a few Painted Ladies and
Sulfurs. Finally, near the end of our walk we encountered a tiny (3")
Common snapping turtle. Cute at that age!

Finally, two days ago Karen and I saw eight COMMON NIGHTHAWKS flying over
at Beaver Creek Greenbelt in Johnston. They looked ready to depart for
warmer climes. .

Good birding!

Stuart Sparkman