Date: 10/7/17 10:50 am
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>
Subject: Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Southern Lancaster County
Dear PABirders,

There is at least one female Ruby-throated Hummingbird visiting the
flowers at our home in Peach Bottom, Lancaster County, PA. I saw one
Friday afternoon and a similarly-plumaged bird today. Nectar sources
include several species of Salvia, plus Lantana, Nicotiana, and Little
Red Morning Glory. There has been no activity at the two sugar water
feeders that are near the flower beds. Friday's bird had a large amount
of whitish pollen on its forehead, crown, and at the base of the bill.

In the 20+ years that Nancy and I have lived here, we have rarely seen a
Ruby-throated Hummer after October 5th. We had an exceptionally late
sighting in early November about 10 years ago.

Now we are hoping to see a different species of hummingbird! Although
quite rare, Rufous Hummer is the most likely, but other species are
possible. Keep checking carefully. Our single Rufous Hummingbird was
also about 10 years ago, feeding at Pineapple Sage.

Take care,
BOB

BOB SCHUTSKY
Web Site www.birdtreks.com
--
BIRD TREKS--Quality Worldwide Birding Tours
216 Spring Lane

Join us on Facebook!