Date: 10/7/17 10:19 am
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] West Sunset Ballfields blackbirds et al 10/6/17
On the way in to work this morning I checked on the recently mowed West Sunset Ballfields. Best access seems to be at the end of 39th Avenue and Quintara.

Mixed in with Brewer's/Red-winged Blackbirds and Starlings was a minimum of (47) TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS. The blackbirds flew in from a location to the south around 7:15-7:20 a.m., with singles and small groups still trickling in by the time I departed around 7:50. The Blackbird flock was foraging on Grant baseball field which is separated the Jim Lucey soccer pitch by a fence. (7) American Pipits departed the Soccer pitch and headed south. Yesterday evening at dusk there had been (8) pipits foraging there.

There were (2) Western Bluebirds on a light post at 39th and Quintara as I was leaving. Yesterday evening I observed (3) Western Bluebirds at 37th Avenue between Moraga and Noriega. Bluebirds were once a rare visitor in San Francisco c. 2002-3, but since have reestablished themselves as a nesting species throughout the City in suitable habitat.

Despite the signs informing "No dogs allowed on the playing fields", the newly renovated West Sunset Ballfields already appear to be a favorite dog park.. For best results it is probably a good idea to arrive early. Interesting grassland species (longspurs etc) may drop in here in upcoming weeks as migrants from further north pass through the region.

Good luck out there,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone