Date: 10/7/17 9:52 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Gull Question
Hi Rusty,

I will also add that Western Gull is particularly marine, has a very
narrow range in terms of world distribution but also in terms of local
distribution.   They are not a gull you will see very far from the coast
or from water.    They are rather rare inland very far from the coast.
GW is much more widespread, much more apt to be inland, much more apt to
be hanging out in parking lots and fields away from the coast.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/6/2017 8:11 PM, Rusty Scalf wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been in Oceanside, Tillamook for a couple weeks visiting family.
>
> On the coast are many gulls, the great majority of which are Western.
> Some California, fewer Ring-billed, and a few Heermann's and
> Glaucus-winged. The GW I see generally show evidence of blending with
> Western. Two weeks and I've seen just a single really pure looking GW.
>
>  Nine miles east in the town of Tillamook are a good number of gulls,
> 100% of them so far are very 'pure' looking Glaucus-winged. I mean of
> the sort one might see in Alaska. Most of these are adult. I have yet
> to see a different species. There were half dozen in the Safeway
> Parking lot; all GW. This is an inland location (though granted not
> far from Tillamook Bay and Netarts Bay waters).
>
> I always presumed Glaucus-winged are as Marine as Western.
>
> Just the luck of the draw?
>
>   Rusty Scalf
>
>   Berkeley, CA

POST: Send your post to <obol...>