Date: 10/7/17 7:19 am
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Old news - Malheur "Snowy Hegret" photos
I asked experts back east what they thought of the odd heron. Michael O'Brien of Cape May/VENT guide/author and one of the best birders on the country (IMHO) said his best take was Cattle Egret x Little Blue hybrid, but didn't know for sure and that the it was a very bizarre bird. There is a reason it has been such a difficult bird to identify.

The bill is too thick for a Snowy. The bill being yellow points away from Snowy and is shaped more like a Cattle Egret. The blue in the plumage indicates Little Blue is in there somewhere. The leg color is OK for a little Blue, too, from looking online at a variety of young Little Blues.

We will probably never know what it's true heritage is but it doesn't look like a Snowy Egret or other pure species.

Best regards,
Shawneen Finnegan

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 9:41 PM, Janet and Phil Lamberson <pjlamberson...> wrote:
>
> Several more photos of the weird snowy-blue hegret taken 9/25 at the Malheur Narrows - dark shading in primaries, secondaries and possibly on back and along back of neck. One photo shows outstretched wing. I know - it's old news, but I just uploaded my photos.
>
> https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39396264

Join us on Facebook!