Date: 10/6/17 8:12 pm
From: Rusty Scalf <rscalf...>
Subject: [obol] Gull Question
Greetings,

I've been in Oceanside, Tillamook for a couple weeks visiting family.

On the coast are many gulls, the great majority of which are Western.
Some California, fewer Ring-billed, and a few Heermann's and
Glaucus-winged. The GW I see generally show evidence of blending with
Western. Two weeks and I've seen just a single really pure looking GW.

Nine miles east in the town of Tillamook are a good number of gulls,
100% of them so far are very 'pure' looking Glaucus-winged. I mean of
the sort one might see in Alaska. Most of these are adult. I have yet to
see a different species. There were half dozen in the Safeway Parking
lot; all GW. This is an inland location (though granted not far from
Tillamook Bay and Netarts Bay waters).

I always presumed Glaucus-winged are as Marine as Western.

Just the luck of the draw?

Rusty Scalf

Berkeley, CA

Join us on Facebook!