Date: 10/6/17 6:35 pm
From: reports--- via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Harvey's Knob (06 Oct 2017) 12 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 4

Total: 12 44 8256

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Mitch Mitchell

Observers: Dan DeHart, David Kirk

Visitors:
Thanks to Dan Dehart for spending the day with us and providing an extra
pair of eyes and spotting several of the birds counted. Lots of parkway
traffic and many came through the overlook with few stopping for more than
a moment and only one or two inquiries about our activity or the day's
count. Several AT hikers including at least two through hikers headed to
GA.

Weather:
Surprisingly warm at the start of watch at 19c with partly cloudy skies but
little wind. Cloud cover varied throughout the day from 5 to 40%.
Visibility was a 4 at the start but improved to a solid 5 after the first
two hours.

Raptor Observations:
First birds were a pair of sharp shinneds early in the ten o'clock hour.
Other than a peregrine falcon that came directly over the outlook parking
area and low, most birds seen were out over the western valley and distant.
It took a while but the usual cast of turkey vultures made appearances
throughout the day.

Non-raptor Observations:
A pileated woodpecker was seen early along with 18 monarchs and a number of
blue jays and dragon flies. A motorcycle passed early with two aboard and
the driver not wearing a helmet. Unfortunately he didn't stop in the
overlook which is a shame because I really wanted to find out how tall he
was so I'd finally know what the height of stupidity is. If there has been
a day with more stinkbugs present than today, I'm glad I missed it.

Predictions:
Similar to today before much needed rain arrives Sunday and Monday.
Report submitted by stan Mitchell (<mitchmitchell7...>)
Harvey's Knob information may be found at:
http://bijame.googlepages.com/home

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=482