Date: 10/6/17 5:07 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (06 Oct 2017) 5 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 1 28

Total: 5 195 4859

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers:

Visitors:
One hundred and thirty, including visitors from Rio de Janeiro and some
returning bird-lovers, young and old.

Weather:
Cool to mild (low 50s to mid 60s) with light passing showers in the
morning, eventually coalescing into persistent rain by 10:30am. Count was
then paused until noon, when it gradually began to dry and a few small
spots of blue became visible in the skies.

Raptor Observations:
The first raptor of the day was seen at 1:55pm... a Sharpie. Four more
countable raptors followed in the next few hours. At one point a kettle of
14 TVs circled up in northeast, drifting northwest but not making a
southward move.

Non-raptor Observations:
Similar species as the last few days, but Clay-colored was not seen
(however my search time was limited). A Scarlet Tanager lingered in some
tall pines, and a Hermit Thrush chucked from the woods. A group of Common
Grackles, perhaps some of the same found by Katrina, were spotted from the
observation deck in the morning.

Predictions:
Tomorrow is the Carter Hill Raptor Observatory Big Sit! We'll be counting
as many avian species as we can (in addition to our regular migrant raptor
count), while trying to raise awareness about birds and migration, and
raising money for the Observatory. And engaging in a little friendly
competition with other Big Sit sites :^)

Light south winds are predicted, but there will be a few clouds to spot
birds against, and afternoon temps are forecast to be pleasant (mid-70s).
Maybe after a day of off weather birds will be ready for a moderate push.
Please stop by and say hi, we'd be honored especially if you can pledge
your support!
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679