Date: 10/6/17 4:22 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Oct 2017) 14 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Jeff Wahl

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Jill Benjamin, Kathleen Rengert, Elaine Kirk, Jeff Wahl.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny (50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 19,800-30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 68 - 80F, Winds NNW-W @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“A Giant Bird?”---

I stopped at our local Giant grocery store, about 2 miles away as the
Gyrfalcon flies (a fella can fantasize, can’t he?), to get ice for the
cooler on site. As I was loading the ice into my van, a customer lumbered
over to me. (At Wegman’s they stroll, Whole Foods they sachet, here we
lumber)
“You are a birdman, right?” He asked.
“Hmmm…?” I replied, my as yet coffee-deprived brain not fully able to
comprehend the subtle complexities of his question.
“Do you like birds?” The customer repeated, basically signing to me.
“Yes, I do.” was my well-conceived, clever reply. I figured he was either
clairvoyant or my “Early Bird Nature Tours” signs all over the van gave me
away as a birder. You’re right - I’m going with clairvoyant.
“There’s a Bald Eagle sitting right there!” His excitement wringing from
his words as he pointed to the large form perched upon a very near snag
bordering the lot. (At Wegmans they rest, Whole Foods they lounge, here we
“sit”)
Glancing up at the obvious adult, I agreed. “You’re right and thank you!
Now, THAT truly is a Giant bird!” (too easy??) That’s how my day started
out… What could be next??

Kathleen and friend, Jill, were out taking pictures and birding, seeing a
Magnolia Warbler, Palm Warblers and an obviously young Red Fox hunting, and
ineffectively pouncing. (KR)

Elaine and I saw an adult Bald Eagle at 11am. But was it our Giant bird?
I don’t know – perhaps not. He looked normal size to me. (sorry)

With Elaine (possibly my future medical doctor) and Jeff (my current
cardiologist) both in attendance, I was medically sound and secure at
today’s watch!! Jeff and I walked down to “warbler meadow,” no
heart-stopping moment was had, merely adding a Magnolia Warbler to the
list. We did not see the possible Orange-crowned Warbler seen earlier
(KR). Had we seen it, that may have necessitated bringing out “the pads,”
“Clear,” Jeff! Both physicians read my blog first thing every morning,
which tells me two things. First, that being a physician does not
necessarily guarantee an interesting life. And secondly, that I should
have no problem obtaining that referral to see the psychologist that I so
obviously desperately need. (lol)

As I write this, a Kestrel flew in, alighting on the snag to our east.
This elicited an immediate response from “the Bucktoe Bird Police,”
constituted, in this instance, by 6 Flickers and a squadron of 8 Blue Jays.
The Flickers were parading cautiously around the trunk, creeping up in
circles, ever closer to the falcon, while the Jays were diving in,
apparently throwing caution, if not their feathers, to the wind, in an
attempt to drive the “scoundrel” from their midst – succeeding in 10
minutes, but not before I had tallied the raptor for our count.

SPECIAL NOTE: Tomorrow (Saturday) I WILL NOT be at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Hawk Watch. Rather, I am conducting my traditional “Big Sit” at Chambers
Lake (Hibernia Park), north of Coatesville. We will be stationed on the
wooded dike with a view of the lake along Wagontown Rd. – just as the road
leaves the lakeside. You should see my van parked there and seats. We
will be there approx.. 5am, remaining all day until dusk. On Sunday, we
will do the same at Bucktoe Hawk Watch with this caveat… we will conduct
our usual Sunday walk at 8am, and all our results for the Big Sit will be
part of the simultaneous Hawk Watch. If you come to the Hawk Watch on
Sunday while we are doing the walk, just watch for birds, keep track of
your sightings and await our return between 10-11am. By all means, find us
something good!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2-Magnolia Warbler, 5-Palm Warbler, 1-Savannah
Sparrow, 1-Swamp Sparrow, 3-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (14): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem, Painted
Lady. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Wandering Glider.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.19; Steps: 12,186; Floors:
24.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season: 122
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Belted
Kingfisher.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks ok, weather-wise, but I won't be at Bucktoe...we'll
be at Chambers Lake conducting our annual Big Sit
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek