Date: 10/6/17 3:50 pm
From: John Weeks <aerie.john...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Blueberry HIll, Granville -- late Cape May Warbler
I watched for migrating raptors this afternoon, but saw only one, a female Kestrel. Warblers were abundant, however -- there were eight species in the woods. The highlight was a bright male Cape May Warbler that perched five feet away from me when I pished.

My eBird report is below. The eBird program queried both the CMWA sighting and that of the Black-and-white Warblers (!), which prompted the seemingly gratuitous comments.

John Weeks

Blueberry Hill, Granville, Hampden County, Massachusetts, US
Oct 6, 2017 11:50 AM - 2:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Only one raptor migrant (the Kestrel), but eight species of warblers made up for it. Temp ca. 70 F; cloud cover 95%, with rain visible to north. Wind W 0-3 mph.
25 species

Turkey Vulture 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
House Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 8
American Robin 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2 BAWW is NOT rare in this area (it is a nesting species). While perhaps present a little later than usual, it was in good company -- dozens of other late-lingering warblers. The weather this fall has been very mild thus far, and may account for the dawdling. The ID is absolutely positive; the two birds were seen in well-separated locations.
Tennessee Warbler 2
Cape May Warbler 1 Cape May Warblers show up at this site every fall, and I have been seeing one individual (probably this one) for the past week. It is a bright fall male; when I pished, it came and perched inquisitively five feet from me!
Northern Parula 2
Blackpoll Warbler 2
Palm Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 40